Human Element Leadership and Management HELM - live session MCA Approved - 80%
In this course you will acquire the knowledge, understanding, skills & tools to manage and lead crew onboard. Its purpose is to study the bridge resource and ship management & leadership skills.
This course is required for officers at the management level. Also required by the MCA for those applying for new CoC at management level. The MCA states that you must include a certificate of completion of an approved HELM management level training course with any application received by the MCA after 31st August 2013 for the following CoC's:
- Master and Chief Officer, Reg. II/2 (unrestricted)
- Chief and Second Engineer Reg. III/2 (unrestricted)
- Chief and Second Engineer Reg. III/3 (unrestricted);
- Master and Chief Officer (Yacht < 3000 GT) (Article IX / Reg. II/2)
- Yacht Engineer Y2 and Y1 (<9000 kW) (Article IX / Reg. III/2)
- Master and Chief Officer, Reg. II/2 (limited to Standby, Seismic Survey and Oceanographic Eesearch Vessels)
- Chief Engineer Reg. III/2 (limited to Standby, Seismic Survey and Oceanographic Research Vessels)
It is also recommended by the PYA for department heads serving in a management level capacity such as Chief Stewardesss who desire a higher level of certification, leadership and management.
The HELM course also has a practical part, where we will learn how to lead a team, and the relevance of human element on shipboard & situational awareness.
HELM in a manditory course for anyone going for an officer master or engineering position on a red flagged vessel.
The Helm Operations is a 3 day course , management is 5 days.
It is not the normal type of marine course but rather a human resource and leadership course
** certificates for approval has to be sent 7 days prior to the course dates
Schedule: 5 days